Saturday, August 26, 2006

My First Dastaar

I tied my first Dastaar at Sikh Student Camp 2006 on Thursday 24th August 2006. An experience I shall never forget. Thank you Maharaj.

I was Guru Gobind Singh Ji's daughter
I walked with grace
I felt proud
I belonged to MaharajI sat in your darbar, Maharaj
I felt beautiful
I felt honoured to have your crown
I couldn't wipe the smile from my face

My face glowed
My actions were inaccordance to you
I was worried about my ego
I enjoyed the precious moment

So many compliments
Still scared of ego
Please bless me with your kirpa
I want to tie a beautiful dastaar when you GIVE me Amrit

The Next morning I arose
No-one to tie my dastaar
I felt so empty, missing something
I didn't feel special no more

As time goes on I shall again get by without the crown
I promise to you my King of Kings
This daughter of yours shall wear the dastaar
When I am blessed with Amrit

MrSikhnet

This was the Hukamnama on that beautiful Thursday.

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Soohee on Pannaa 749

Soohee mehalaa 5 ||
Soohee, Fifth Mehla:

Jis kae sir oopar thoo(n) suaamee so dhukh kaisaa paavai ||
When You stand over our heads, O Lord and Master, how can we suffer in pain?

If I am wearing your beautiful dastaar, and all my actions are in accordance with you how can I suffer pain? You protect me through everything and are by my side through every waking, sleeping moment.

Bol n jaanai maaeiaa madh maathaa maranaa cheeth n aavai ||1||
The mortal being does not know how to chant Your Name - he is intoxicated with the wine of Maya, and the thought of death does not even enter his mind. ||1||

Ego was my biggest problem. Ego was something which kept that barrier between me chanting your name, Maharaj. Please forgive me Waheguru. If there is ego in my mind, I do not know how to chant you name. Please bless me and help me control Maya.

Maerae raam raae thoo(n) sa(n)thaa kaa sa(n)th thaerae ||
O my Sovereign Lord, You belong to the Saints, and the Saints belong to You.

Sitting in your beautiful darbar, with your saints, we belong to you, you belong to us. I love you, you love us. This moment is so precious. My mind drifts to be one with you.

Thaerae saevak ko bho kishh naahee jam nehee aavai naerae ||1|| rehaao ||
Your servant is not afraid of anything; the Messenger of Death cannot even approach him. ||1||Pause||

With this crown on my head, I am afraid of nothing. There is nothing that I am afraid of, except being far from you. This dastaar enables me to be like you: NIRBHAU! Waheguru.

Jo thaerai ra(n)g raathae suaamee thinh kaa janam maran dhukh naasaa ||
Those who are attuned to Your Love, O my Lord and Master, are released from the pains of birth and death.

Your love is my only support. Please keep me attached.

Thaeree bakhas n maettai koee sathigur kaa dhilaasaa ||2||
No one can erase Your Blessings; the True Guru has given me this assurance. ||2||

You blessed me with the beautiful gift of dastaar. You gave me assurance. I had my doubts about wearing the dastaar but you assured me. You showed me. You pushed me. You encouraged me. I cannot thank you enough, Waheguru.

Naam dhhiaaein sukh fal paaein aat(h) pehar aaraadhhehi ||
Those who meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, obtain the fruits of peace. Twenty-four hours a day, they worship and adore You.

With this nishaani of a dastaar, I stay attuned to your rememberance. Every time I see a beautiful smile, I look in the mirror, I receive a compliment…they are not for me…they are in your praise. People saw me in your dastaar and thought of you. They thought of their King: Guru Gobind Singh Ji. They said Waah! I represented my father. If I wear this dastar 24/7 I will be reminded of my father. I will encourage others without even knowing it, with your grace. Please bless me Maharaj.

Thaeree saran thaerai bharavaasai pa(n)ch dhusatt lai saadhhehi ||3||
In Your Sanctuary, with Your Support, they subdue the five villains. ||3||

With your grace and support the five evils can be controlled. I consciously recognised how ego was trying so hard to win me over. But I consciously recognised it and remined myself not to get caught in the egotism. I prayed to Maharaj to help me through. He did. He came though.

Giaan dhhiaan kishh karam n jaanaa saar n jaanaa thaeree ||
I know nothing about wisdom, meditation and good deeds; I know nothing about Your excellence.

I thought I knew you, I thought I knew about meditation then you showed me a new light. I thought amrit wasn’t important and you turn the crystal so I can seee a new colour. That is a blessing.

Sabh thae vaddaa sathigur naanak jin kal raakhee maeree ||4||10||57||
Guru Nanak is the greatest of all; He saved my honor in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga. ||4||10||57||

You held my hand, Satgur Nanak. You are so great. I say thank you again and again and again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Manvir Singh (UK) said...

Beautiful poem Bhenji.

May Guru Sahib fulfil your wish of being blessed with the gift of Amrit and becoming the daughter of Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh jee maahraaj donned with a crown on your head.

Guru Rakha.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I was at SS camp also.

Reading your blog has bought me to tears. I too feel lost without the dastaar on - I dont have anyone who knows how to tie one at home either. :(

I am missing the sangat so much today.

I got that track Teri Deewani ages ago - and now it has a new meaning. Waah!!

May waheguru ji grant you all your wishes and that you carry on this journey.

Monday, August 28, 2006 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger Kaur said...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Jasdeep Penji

I am so honoured that we both shared such similar experiences at SS Camp 2006. THE DASTAAR WAS A GIFT FROM MAHARAJ. Do you remember how excited all us kuriyaa were in the girls dorms on that thursday afternoon? We just couldn't contain our excitment hunna?

I tried tying it at home but no luck. I will see you at the reunion, no doubt.

I know exactly how you feel : miss simran, miss sangat? YEP SO MANY OF US ARE FEELING THIS....

*LISTEN TO THE KEERTAN
*CALL UP SANGAT: HAVE SIMRAN SESSION
*TALK TO MAHARAJ
*READ THE HUKAMNAMA ON http://www.sikhnet.com/hukam

Stay Chardi kalla hun!

:)

Monday, August 28, 2006 5:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waheguru.. Waheguru.. WAHEGURU!

Penji,

sending you a big hug over the ethernet! I've never had such cravings like this before - I dont wish to listen to anythin apart from keertan - I bet you also feel like this eh?

I am in love with Maharaj Ji and it's a little scary - it's not the same without the sangat.

Penji I don't know your name, but please stay in touch and continue to update your blog - it's very inspirational and touching. Waheguru bless you.

WJKK WJKF

Monday, August 28, 2006 5:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home